Thursday, April 2, 2015

Will We Be LIGHT or DARKNESS?


As I have entered into the reflection period of Holy Week.  The time of the year where we remember what lead Jesus to the cross, the action of death, the restoration, the blood, the redemption and the resurrection brings great thought into my world.  I will never fully be able to wrap my mind around the cross.  I'll never know exactly what it felt like, I will never be able to explain all of the theology of the cross.

This year though, I wonder what it would be like to sit at the last supper with Jesus.  Tonight, to have Jesus breaking the bread and sharing the wine to prepare me for the days that will lead to his death and resurrection, to prepare me for the cross and life there after.  What would he say about today's church?  I fear he would speak with sadness on our affinity for pew sitting and judgement.  I fear that as he looked into my eyes he would see where I had not shown his love, where I had taken grace only to have stored it away unused on those asking for it.  That upon looking into my soul he would uncover the times where I had lied, the times where I had been less than kind.  Would he look into the church doors and say "no thank you, I think I'll stay out here."  I believe he would call us out of our buildings and into the streets.  He would lead us to have supper down the road in the community of the lost and low.  That he would preach there, he would feed them there, he would wash their feet and their tears would wash his.  No church, if Jesus shared his last supper with us it would not be as buttoned up as we find ourselves each Easter morning. There would not be pew sitting, there would be no talk of hymns or praise music, there would be no "this is how we've always done it" or that person is not welcome because of the size of that neck tattoo. No no no church, if we were with Jesus this weekend celebrating the passover there would be none of that.  Jesus would call us to shed our lovely Marc Jacob heals and wash the feet of the woman who called us unforgiving or looked down upon us for being radical.  The man who wouldn't support us in missions work, or the elderly lady who wouldn't attend our call to mentoring.  Jesus would wash our feet and call us to wash theirs.  And then we would walk the street back to the church, and be forever changed.  Passover, Easter, these would look different if Jesus were still in it.

Have you ever noticed that the thing that brings our city light is in the shape of a cross?  Today, I noticed this.  Jesus is the light of the world.  He brings light into darkness.  He calls us to light up our world with the good news, that he came for all.  That you need only lay down the old to walk in the light with him.
John 18:12
When Jesus spoke again to the people he said "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

This Easter lets remember to light up the world with his love.  To not be in our pews, all buttoned up and fancy and forget that Jesus brought the light for all and his light resides in us.

I will never be able to wrap my mind fully around the cross, but I will cling to it as if my life depends on it, because it does.  I have prayed for you, you are invited into the doors of my church this weekend and every weekend.  Wear your best dress or your favorite jeans it doesn't matter, just come and learn about this Jesus that changes us from the inside out.

He is RISEN, for us, who he made FEARFULLY,  BEAUTIFULLY and WONDERFULLY in his image!

Much Love,
Chrystan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate